February is the month for lovers, so why not start with some self-care? We spend so much of our time trying to show others how much we love them, we often times forget to show ourselves. It’s important for us to practice self-care at the very least once a day. Here are five ways you can practice self- right now!
- Buy yourself fresh flowers. Flowers have an immediate impact on happiness, a long-term positive effect on moods and helps to create intimate connections. Why not shower yourself with love by giving yourself a bouquet of joy?
- Treat yourself. Go for the longest pedicure on the menu. Get your hair deep conditioned and enjoy that extra scalp massage. Get a 90-minute massage instead of just an hour (I love Massage Envy). It doesn’t have to be something big or fancy, but giving yourself even a small treat can provide a boost in your mood.
Women have to take the time to focus on our mental health—take time for self, for the spiritual, without feeling guilty or selfish. The world will see you the way you see you, and treat you the way you treat yourself.– Beyoncé, mom/music icon and business mogul
- Get moving. Whether it’s taking a slow stroll through the neighborhood, hitting the pavement on a jogging trail, or practicing yoga, busting even a small sweat can give you the endorphins you need to get you through the day. We aren’t talking exercising for the sake of shaping your body, but becoming more connected with your body.
- Be of service, volunteer. Find a cause that you are passionate about and find a way to give your time to help further their mission. Whether it’s organizing a canned food drive for a homeless shelter, or providing basic items to a domestic violence shelter, knowing that you’ve given of yourself can do your heart good. Take it one step further by giving an hour a week over the next few months.
- Date yourself. Spend some time alone with your favorite person, doing what you love. Having a healthy sense of solitude is an important part of loving oneself. After all, there is no better company to be had than yours, right? If you don’t have the time to schedule some you time, try to focus on consciously spending five minutes a day alone.